This test on 1960sCatholicism is adapted with permission from that devised by Albert Solomon, published in America, June 1986.
The current of change in the Church since the Second Vatican Council has run deeply with many Australian Catholics. Let there be no identity crisis. So take this all-generational test to leave you in no doubt as to what kind of Catholic you are. It does not matter if you are not a Catholic. It will be a good empathetic exercise for you! The test will inevitably say a lot about the kind of Church you think you are in.
Write your answers (A, B, C, or D etc) on a sheet of paper; you will add up your own scores according to the code shown at the bottom of the test. You will also be given directions as to how to interpret the meaning of your score.
1. My favourite pope isA. Pope Pius XII B. Pope John Paul II C. Pope Paul V1 D. Pope John XXIII
14. BONUS QUESTION:
Name the nine choirs of Angels
2. The sacrament given to
an ailing Catholic isA. extreme unction B. the last sacrament C. the last rites D. anointing of the sick
15. What's the ideal way for a
church to raise money?A. BINGO B. progressive dinner C. casino night D. hire a financial consultant
3. I like to receive CommunionA. in the mouth only B. in the mouth or hand, depending on how I feel C. in the hand only D. under both species
16. What's your favourite
Friday night meal?A. tuna in oil B. fish and chips C. hamburger D. What makes a Friday night meal so special?
4. To get my sins forgiven I
receive the sacrament ofA. confession B. penance C. reconciliation
17. To what school should a
Catholic boy go?A. Jesuit college B. a Brothers' college C. the local CEO school D. any Catholic co-educational school
5. My favourite hymn isA. Tantum Ergo B. Immaculate Mary C. Kumbaya D. Jesus Christ, Superstar
18. My favourite parish women's
organisation is theA. Catholic Women's League B. Altar Society C. Family groups D. Future Priests of Australia
6. My favourite church
musical instrument isA. the human voice in Gregorian chant B. organ C. guitar and tambourines D. Moog synthesiser
7. We baptise infantsA. to cleanse them of original sin B. to welcome them into the community of the Church C. to get all the relatives together for a party
19. My favourite parish men's
organisation is theA. Knights of the Southern Cross B. Catholic club C. parish tennis club
20. At the Kiss of Peace, IA. Cringe B. bow to the person next to me C. shake hands D. kiss everybody in sight
8. I go to confessionA. every week B. once a month C. at Easter time D. when I'm threatened
9. I go to confessionA. where the confessional is the darkest B. to the visiting priest C. where the confessional lets me face the priest D. where the line is shortest
21. The topic of my favourite sermon isA. hell and damnation B. sin and corruption C. social injustice D. "Highway to Heaven"
10. The perfect clothing for
a nun isA. a wimple and dark clothes to the floor B. a white blouse and blue skirt C. anything but short shorts or hot pants
22. Original sin isA. the curse of Adam's disobedience B. inherent in human nature C. a great new perfume
11. I am most comfortable
receiving Communion fromA. priests only B. bachelors (over 50) only, or nuns C. married couples only D. whoever has the shortest line (usually women under 40)
23. The servers who assist the priest areA. acolytes B. altar boys C. altar persons D. altar girls
12. What do you think of your
curate?A. you thought he was an altar boy B. your St. Joseph's missal is older C. he's cute D. he's gorgeous
24. My favourite nun isA. Sister Germaine of the Holy Cross B. Sister Germaine Murphy C. Sister Germaine Greer D. Sister Sledge
13. What are the nine choirs of angels?A. the angels sitting at the throne of heaven B. a California baseball team C. a rock group
25. My favourite "media"
priest isA. Barry Fitzgerald B. Bing Crosby C. Robert DeNiro D. Richard Chamberlain
Check and follow the system below on how to Score Yourself. Then find the meaning of your score by pressing the appropriate button
Every (a) answer is worth 1 point; (b) is 2; (c) is 3; (d) is 4.
Question 10 is a trick question, since it transcends generational gaps.
If you feel young at heart, it's worth 4 points; but if you'd like to go back to the Latin liturgy, It's worth 1 point only.
1. Add up your points.
2. BONUS QUESTION: Subtract 1 point for every angelic choir you named correctly (seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, angels).
You can check what the other scores mean if you wish. This might stimulate you to seek to move to a higher level.